Who the hell is this guy?
Colin F. Barnes is a publisher and full-time writer of horror and techno thrillers and a member of both the British Fantasy Society and the British Science Fiction Association. He honed his craft with the London School of Journalism and the Open University (BA, English).
Colin has run a number of tech-based businesses, worked in rat-infested workshops, and scoured the back streets of London looking for characters and stories—which he found in abundance. He has a number of publishing credits with stories alongside authors such as: Brian Lumley, Ramsey Campbell, and Graham Masterton.
Colin’s latest book, an SF thriller, is ARTIFICIAL EVIL: Book 1 of The Techxorcist. The second book: ASSEMBLY CODE is due out in spring, 2013.
Influences and early experiences.
Stephen King and Frank Herbert were his first adult books, which he read during his primary school education. Luckily, some teacher left them in the kid’s library among all the Janet & John books. It was clear that dark, gritty and speculative fiction would be his direction.
From there he moved onto James Herbert, Brian Lumley, Anne Rice. Shortly after he found his cornerstones: H.P.Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith and Ray Bradbury. It’s a combination of all these that led him to write what he writes, and he owes them a debt of gratitude for their great stories and for providing him with the catalyst to tell his own stories.
Colin F. Barnes straddles the traditional and indie publishing divide. He’s had a number of short stories and novellas published (see list below) as well putting out some of his work through his publishing company Anachron Press. He is currently working on a cyberpunk/ technothriller series titled ‘The Techxorcist‘.
- Three stories in: Killing My Boss – Gleneyre Press (2011)
- The Glass and The Lotus: of Altered States (2012)
- Gallery Of Fate: Dark River press Magazine (Feb, 2012)
- Misplaced Obsession: Sirens Call Publications e-zine (Feb, 2012)
- The Trapper: Sirens Call Publications e-zine (April, 2012)
- Hangman’s Wood: Bleeding Ink Anthology – Ink Babes (July, 2012)
- Rebels: 100 Horrors Anthology – Cruentus Libris (Feb, 2012)
- Shades of Red Childhood Nightmares – Sirens Call Publications (May, 2012)
- Curse of Blackfire Deep Nuns & Dragons – Fox Spirit (Aug, 2012)
- Heart for the Ravens – Horror Novella – Fox Spirit (Dec, 2012)